Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon (Audiobook)



I have read Outlander about 4 times and when I found the audiobook I thought that it would be so fun to listen to the characters rather then just read about them. It was so much fun!! If you don't already know about Outlander here is a description from Amazon.com "While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before."

It took me about 5 weeks to listen to this audiobook - It is a long one, perhaps 28 hours. I listened to it at work and some before I went to sleep. I loved the narrator Davina Porter!! She will always be Clare Fraser to me. She was excellent at changing into different characters. I could picture the characters in my head for years so adding a voice to this was wonderful. Since I have read the book a few times before I could listen differently then if it was the first time. If I missed something it was okay. I really enjoyed listening to the Gaelic words - words that I had made up in my head were made real while listening. Sometimes when I can't pronounce a name I end up making up a similar one to call the character. It was fun to hear if I was even close to the actual names.

I found the parts about the torture that Jamie underwent by Randall to be hard to listen to. I remember skimming over it a bit when I was reading the book and listening to it was even harder. I heard the pain in the narrators voice when she was describing Jamie's pain - and it made me feel ill.

Listening is so different then reading. I don't know if I could listen to books that I haven't previously read - I don't know if I have the attention span for it. But I will continue to listen to books that I have already read. It will give me a new look at books that I already really enjoy.

Rating - 5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read Outlander for the first time a few months back and loved it. Now I have to listen to it on audio, like you say I think it will be a lot of fun to hear the characters speak.