Thursday, June 4, 2009

Books That Stick

I have never done Book Through Thursday before but this week was so interesting that I thought I would give it a try!
This week from BTT:

“This can be a quick one. Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you’ve read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.”

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I read this series for the first time when I was going into university. A love story set in the Scottish highlands in the 1800's - the twist is that the main female, Clare, has traveled from the 1900's to the past. These books will stay with me forever and I am so happy that there are still more to come!

2. Lamb, The Gospel According To Biff Christ's Childhood Friend by Christopher Moore. This book as hilarious. I loved every minute of it. Christopher Moore is a genius. This book always reminded me of the John Prine song "Jesus The Missing Years".

3. Fall On Your Knees by Ann Marie MacDonald. I remember being 15 and curled up on Christmas day reading this book on the love seat in the kitchen. I couldn't tear myself away from it! Set in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (my home too!) this is a wonderful novel about small town family and the secrets that they have. I was soooo excited Oprah picked this book for her bookclub. It is always nice when Canadian authors are recognized.

4. Beloved by Toni Morrison. This book was disturbing, still haunts me and a really really great read. My favorite out of all of Toni Morrisons books.

5. The Sirens or Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I have a worn paperback copy of this novel that I found at a flea market. One of my favorite Vonnegut books. I just got the audiobook and can't wait to listen to it!

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I read this book so many times. As a little girl and as a young woman. I loved Jo's character and how close the family of gırls were.

7. The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. One of the most interesting books I have ever read. I could not put it down. I love books that involve other books. I loved the mystery to this and how well developed the characters were. Not very often do I enjoy a mystery more the second time around!

8. The Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Thinking about this book always gives me chills. I loved the Joad family and I loved the way this book was written. I remember hearing the Bruce Springsteen song "The Ghost of Tom Joad" before I read the novel and wondering how the song related to the book. I am so happy I read that book!

9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I remember reading this during a snow storm that left me without school for a week. I was curled up in bed and read and read and read! I daydreamed I was living in Russia and couldn't wait to travel there (still waiting!!).

10. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Anyone who knows me will know I preach that this is one of the all-time best books. I only read it a few years ago but it really got to me. Having a social work background (and having a union man as a father) makes me interested in novels that have to do with social class, workers rights, immıgration etc. Just an amazing book.

11. Willard and His Bowling Trophies by Richard Brautigan. I got this book from one of my parent's friends. I remember reading it...not understanding it..reading it again and starting to get it. I was given a wooden carving of Willard the bird for my high school graduation.

12. Disgrace by J.M Coetzee. I found this book depressing, hard to read and really really angering. It brought up strong emotion (which is ually a sign of a good book no matter how hard it is to read). It is an important read but not a pleasant one. Some scenes I will never forget.

13. Matilda by Roald Dahl. I read this book so many times as a child. I loved that she was a book worm like me. I can't wait to read this book to my daughter when I have one!

14. Last Of The Mohicans by Jamea Fenimore Cooper. This could be my number one pick for least favorite book. I remember reading it so vividly because it was so boring and soooo overly descriptive. A friend of mine dared me that I couldn't read it because it was so boring. It took me a month to finish - and its not even a long book.

15. The Stand by Stephen King. This book was so good. Really long and interesting and scary. I used to read this on my hour long bus ride to work in Korea. Sometimes I would get the longer bus just so I could read more. I haven't read many Stephen King books but this one was a winner!

What are some books that will always stick in you head?

1 comment:

Webster Twelb said...

great list.

I've read couple of those, some I have but remained untouched, some I would really like to read and buy like OUTLANDER from Diana Gabaldon. I'll keep an eye on that.