Monday, June 15, 2009

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl



I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a long time ago and I remember loving it. I decided to re-read all the Raold Dahl books after the school I work for received them all from a publisher. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is really good. I loved Charlie Bucket and what a sweet character he was. I loved Grandpa Joe and how excited he was when Charlie found the Golden Ticket and was able to visit Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory! As a kid I was never as much of a fan of the Oompa-Loompas as the other kids were. I wasn't much into their songs. But I do appreciate it now that I am older. There are so many lessons for kids on how they should (and shouldn't) behave and what might happen if they do. Of course everything is exaggerated. I think these books are really important (and timeless). They were written many years ago but are still being read by kids in schools today.

I loved reading it as an adult because there are alot of references that have been made in pop culture today (or when I was younger). For example the band Veruca Salt (which I loved when I was in junior high!) You look at these books a bit differently when you are an adult. I can't wait to move on to the next one!

Rating - 5

No comments: