Saturday, March 28, 2009

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen



I was a little sceptical at first to read a book about fishing or fish in general...not the most thrilling subject for me. But I gave it a go and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The book is about a fisheries expert named Dr. Alfred Jones who works for a British Fishing Agency and is contracted out to help bring salmon fishing to The Yemen. Alfred does not want to be part of this project because he believes it is impossible and flat out refuses until his job is on the line. As he becomes part of the project and meets the man behind the idea, Sheikh Muhammad, Alfred begins to believe that it is possible to bring salmon and the sport of salmon fishing to The Yemen.

This book was really funny. It was very British and I found the humour to be very intellectual. I loved how much bureaucracy was made fun of and how governments change their attitudes and opinions on subjects day to day. I also loved how the book was written in a variety of forms - from a diary to an interview to letters. It made the story really interesting to read and it never got boring.

I think I would like to read more by this author. I think I will look him up when I get to the library in England this summer!

No comments: