Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway



This book caught my eye when I was shopping in Singapore. I picked it up a few times but never actually bought it. (Perhaps I had to many choices in Singapore!) But I did order it from Amazon.com after my husband said I could pick out a few books. This novel was heartbreaking. Set during the seige of Sarajevo, the novel chronicles the lives of three people; Dragan, Kenan and Arrow. All three live in the same city, never meet but all have in common the desire to have their city back and also to listen to the lone cellist. The Cellist who plays for 22 days (which is based on true events) to remember the people who he saw killed while waiting for bread becomes a beacon of hope for all 3 strangers.

I loved the way this book was written. It flowed so well and had great emotional descriptions. There wasn't a whole lot of dialogue in the story - but I never really noticed because I was enjoying it so much. I thought it would be a quick in-one-day read because it was only a little over 200 pages but I ended up stopping and thinking alot about the characters and the war in Sarajevo.

I love that the books I have been reading recently have all opened my mind to history I never really knew about before!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great novel, it's currently sitting in my TBR pile. You've really spiked my interested and will get to it sooner rather than later.