Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How do you start a novel?

I went to the University library yesterday with a friend to pick up our newest bookclub pick - The Time Travellers Wife. This friend and I were browsing through the books (even though I told myself I was not allowed to get any more books - I already had 7 out) and she asked when I was going to write my book. I always find it funny when people assume because I read so much that I would be compelled to write a novel. Of course they are right and I am dying to write a book and have been since I was a little girl but still! Hahaha.

So last night when I was trying to sleep it was all I could think about. Why haven't I seriously sat down and tried to write for years? Why have I been putting off the one thing that I have always wanted to do? Maybe I am scared or think I don't really know how to write or it never will be good enough. I don't really know. When I was in high school a friend and I used to write a zine together and I loved it. I loved the feeling of putting it together and have other people read what I had put my heart into. I always have excuses - not enough time or inspiration or a comfortable place to write or I need a program for my computer to really get started. Its always something. I remember always telling people that I was going to write fiction for young adults. I wanted to write for young adults because I remember how much these books affected me when I was younger. I wanted (and still do) to affect young people this way.

When I was younger my father bought me a typewriter because he knew I wanted to write so badly. I remember the colorful paper he used to buy me and the hours I used to spend on that thing. When I got older he bought me my first computer - in exchange he told me I had to write a book for him. I guess he is still waiting. But maybe he will get his book soon. I think it is about time for me to really give it a shot and see what I have in me.

Does anyone reading this have any tips on how to even start a novel? I would greatly appreciate any input.

1 comment:

Islandgirl Evy said...

Hi there. Its funny I should read your column -- I feel the same way. I enjoy reading although I don't read as much as most ppl who blog and I hope to write a book one day. No pressure. I have an idea in my mind of where the setting will be, just don't know where to start. Come over and see my blogs and leave a comment. Evy (Vindella)