Monday, February 2, 2009

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones



When I arrived in Singapore, my friend was reading this book. It had been on my "To Be Read" list for sometime now - so I was interested in her finishing it so I could get started. Instead, we traded books and I got to read Mister Pip. This is a small book but so interesting to read. This book was set on a tropical island near Australia in the 1990's that is dealing with a war. The book is narrated by Matilda, a young woman who lives with her mother on the island. The novel is about Matilda, the other children on the island and their teacher Mr. Watts. Mr. Watts is the only white man on the island and becomes their teacher by default. The one thing he does teach them is about the novel "Great Expectations" which he reads to them everyday. The students become enthralled with Pip and the other characters in "Great Expectations" and this novel changes all of their lives - for better and for worse.

This book made me sad. It also made me want to read "Great Expectations" again to ee if I could get the same feeling as they did while reading it. I envy the feeling they get while reading the book - that is the best feeling you can ever get when reading and my most sought after.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've read this one a few months ago and i really enjoyed it. It does not have a lot to do with the original Mr. Pip in my opinion but it is a book of its own.