Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Vintage Affair - Isabel Wolff



A Vintage Affair was a wonderful "chick lit" book taking place in London. The main character Pheobe opens her own vintage clothing store and we see how these clothes affect different people throughout the novel. Pheobe has recently broken off her engagement and is struggling with the lose of her best friend, Emma. The story gets interesting when Pheobe meets Mrs. Bell, an elderly widow who is getting rid of most of her fabulous vintage clothing. Mrs. Bell won't part with one item, a beautifully made blue coat from the 1940's. We understand why when Mrs. Bell tells Pheobe a story that involves two best friends, World War II and a tragedy that has haunted Mrs. Bell her entire life.

I really enjoyed the characters in this book. I find British "chick lıt" to be wonderful because the characters are alwyas quirky and seem that they could actually be real people. I read this book in a day and enjoyed the time I spent reading it. But beware girls - it makes you want to go out and shop!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I just finished another British "chick-lit" book - An Offer You Can't Refuse - and I agree, there is just something that makes them different and very enjoyable. I will need to add this one to my list!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Well, this one certainly looks cute; great post.