Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Brutal Telling - Louise Penny



The synopsis from Amazon.com is "When the body of an unknown old man turns up in a bistro in the Quebec village of Three Pines, Chief Insp. Armand Gamache investigates. At a cabin in the woods apparently belonging to the dead man, Gamache and his team are shocked to discover the remote building is full of priceless antiquities, from first edition books to European treasures thought to have disappeared during WWII. When suspicion falls on one of Three Pines' most prominent citizens, it's up to Gamache to sift through the lies and uncover the truth."

This is the second book of the Chief Insp. Gamache series that I have read. I haven't read them in order as this is the fifth one. But you don't even really have to read them in order to find the enjoyable. I loved this book. I think I loved everything about it. I feel as it has been awhile since I was swept up in a book and didn't want to let it go. The novel is set in a small village in Quebec and the way the author describes the setting is beautiful. I wanted to move to this little town myself and spend my days reading books by a fire and eating gourmet food at the local cafe. There was something lovely about Louise Penny's writing that made me smile and made me wish the book wouldn't end. I loved that it was Canadian.

The characters of this book are also all unique and memorable. Ruth, the meanest woman in town who is also one of Canada's most celebrated poets, is shown in a different light in this novel for only one paragraph - but it is a paragraph I will remember when I read future books that involve her. The characters in The Brutal Telling were ones that I cannot wait to meet again and hope that I get to spend more time with in the future.

I highly recommend this mystery novel. It had a captivating story and was very well written. Definitely a book I stayed up late reading!!!

Rating - 4

No comments: