Monday, November 10, 2008

Arcadia - Jim Crace




Arcadia is a novel about an aging millionarie named Victor, who wants to rebuild an area of town which sells fruits and vegetables called "The Soap Market", an area that he lived as a child with his homeless mother and aunt. In the novel he recounts his life and we see why he has grown up to be the man he is today. Another part of the story involves Rook, his crooked assistant and how their lives and the lives of the people who work (or live in) the Soap Market intertwine.


I had a hard time getting into this book but when I sat down and really gave it a go, I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Charles Dickens (maybe it was the orphan in a city part) without it being as wordy. I had read another of his novels, "Quarentine" for bookclub in Korea a few years back and enjoyed it as well but this one was so very different.

I would recommend this book and give it **** stars.

No comments: