Wednesday, October 8, 2008

James and I went on a little vacation and I brought "Thirteen Moons" by Charles Frazier and "On Mexican Time" by Tony Cohan. I really enjoyed "Thirteen Moons" at the beginning but by the end I got a little bored of it. The beginning was funny and I loved how it was written from the perspective of an older man, Will Cooper, looking back at his life. It gave insight to why the young man did the things he did. I tried not to expect too much with this book because I had loved Cold Mountain so much. I didn't want Cold Mountain to color my judgement on this novel.....but I think it did.

"On Mexican Time" was a book I had on my shelf for years and years and never read. Finally I did and I am glad I finally read it. It is a memoir about a Californian couple who moves to a small community in Mexico in the 1980's. I really enjoyed this book because it was filled with descriptions of wonderful Mexican foods, festivals and people. The food part I liked the most. It made me want to live in Mexico and eat home-made tortillas and guacamole.

When I got back to the university, James and I went to the library and I borrowed some books. James read "Deception Point" by Dan Brown a couple of months ago and really liked it. I decided it would be nice to read something easy and interesting. I finished it this morning and it wasn't that interesting. It was hard to get through. The novel was about NASA and the discovery of a meteorite with fossils something interesting inside of it. Thats all I am going to say about it because I am still not that interested.

Hopefully the next read will be more enjoyable!

1 comment:

Bybee said...

I'd love to read "On Mexican Time"...it's sort of a half-fantasy of mine to live there after Korea. And I think I'd do a lot better language-wise.